THE BLACK HERITAGE MUSEUM OF ARLINGTON (BHMA) NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT!
The Black Heritage Museum of Arlington initially was a “Museum Without Walls”. It was founded to celebrate the African journey of SLAVERY to FREEDOM in Arlington County. At the heart of the BHMA mission is the story of Freedman’s Village. The board commissioned a model of the village which we now have on display in our office studio. The board also sponsors a lecture series, an oral history program, and a walking tour brochure.
We have an exciting year planned and we are attempting to raise sufficient funds to help offset our general expenses, to strengthen and ensure the future success of the Museum’s programs.
The Museum’s additional but not lesser mission is to research, exhibit, promote and publicize the rich historical and cultural heritage of African American in Arlington for the benefit of residents and visitors.
BHMA is a repository of African American rich history in Arlington and we are dedicated to Preserve this cultural heritage, serve as a center of stewardship, knowledge, and understanding of the life, culture, and intellectual achievements through programs, exhibitions, publications and collections that promote an accurate and full appreciation of African American in Arlington:
- The Museum needs to collect, preserve and catalog important documents, transcripts, photographs, and historic objects; and will use those items to provide educational and cultural programs for the public.
- To recruit a dedicated staff of accomplished volunteers to assist in the daily activities of the museum
- To hire a paid director and volunteer coordinator
- Rebuild the Museum website in order to provide global access to our exhibit collections–for free
- Acquire big screens and integrate new systems to digitize for interactive displays in the Museum; to reflect current research and modern museum standards.
- Improve educational resource, and permanent repository for cultural assets of African American stories of significance in Arlington.
- Research and study of collections to tell powerful stories of African American in Arlington from Slavery to Freedom.
- MORE IMPORTANTLY, THE URGENCY TO ACQUIRE A PROPERTY TO HOUSE THE MUSEUM, AND SO PERMANENTLY SECURE THE STORY DESCRIBED ABOVE.
The cost of all this as you can imagine is the reason, we are conducting this fundraising
Given that we are a non-profit organization, your donation is 100% tax-deductible and serves as an excellent way to give back to the community.
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration in supporting the BHMA.
We graciously accept any assistance you can offer; your generous support is greatly appreciated and important to our success.
In return for your sponsorship (at whatever level you choose) you will be presented with a letter of thanks as well as an acknowledgement certificate with a Federal Tax ID number for your tax-deductible donation.
You might be qualified to receive a sponsor status which we will recognize on our website or/and at the Museum.
Thank you in advance for consideration and support